Thursday, July 26, 2012

Patio Problems

I have been through the ringer lately and my blog has been neglected. I recently switched places with my hubby and went back to work while he stays home with Mr. Harrison. Let's just say we BOTH have a bigger appreciation for what the other does. I now am astounded at all of those working mamas who come home and still have the energy to change diapers and make dinner. And my husband has repeatedly told me how hard it is to be a stay at home mom and that he's grateful that I do it. Hopefully the time will come where we can switch back {we are both going crazy}.

That's the life update for now. As for a crafty update, my husband wanted to sand and stain our back patio table and benches a few months ago. I don't have a before picture but the stain he picked ended up being a funky shade of orange that was... um... awful.




He sanded it a little, realized how thick the lacquer was, and just painted on the stain instead of doing it properly. I can't blame him completely because that thing had as much lacquer as wood it seems. But luckily I stopped him from going any further with this crazy cool-aid color.

I took the sander to it and after calling in reinforcements from my SIL, three days of sanding all day, and multiple layers of stripper, we finished it (as best we could).

Here is halfway done with the table:


Table finished:


Table and benches. You can see where we STILL couldn't get the lacquer off but I kinda like the weathered feel. I swear I am never going to pick up a sander again.




I never got around to sealing it. Maybe another day.

Do you like it?


Photobucket

1 comment:

Clarisa said...

you are one hard worker. i think i would have wimped out and just painted. good for you for you dream-come true powers and for having an awesome sil.